How To Grade Competence
Here's a 5-layer scale to grade effectiveness.
1. Weak - Incompetent or ineffective.
2. Adequate - Meets basic needs, but requires extra support or supervision.
3. Qualified - Meets all expectations without outside support or extra supervision.
4. Well-Qualified - Consistently exceeds expectations.
5. Exceptional - Will always go beyond expectations in spite of special obstacles and challenges.
A manager who spends most of her time managing the "1s" and "2s" will find herself cleaning up their mistakes and wondering where her time goes. She should fix the "1s" or lose them and move the "2s" to "3s" if she can. Then she'll have a team delivering what it's intended to without a lot of management intervention.
Can you think of better names for these five categories?
Find more here